weird removable media behavior

Michael Klinosky mpk2 at enter.net
Wed Apr 18 23:23:46 UTC 2007

Mikkel:
> When you have the reader plugged in, run "mount" and see what it
> thinks is mounted. If you can determine the device of the CF card,
> run "fdisk -l <CF devie>" to see how many partitions Linux thinks
> the card has.

I started on this - but noticed that one gThumb was titled
/media/disk-2/dcim - which is different from before. So I rebooted.

Before I plugged in the reader, I tried mount; nothing unusual.

With the reader plugged in:
/dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type vfat
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,shortname=winnt,uid=500)
/dev/sda1 on /media/disk-1 type vfat
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,shortname=winnt,uid=500)

That looks like _two_ devices!

Btw (icih), before rebooting, I plugged it in and unplugged it -
checking mount after each. Turns out that unplugging the reader doesn't
release 1 of the devices (it's still there). Then, plugging it back in
creates a gthumb with '...-2'; another cycle will create a '...-3'.