weird removable media behavior

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Apr 19 00:19:11 UTC 2007

Michael Klinosky wrote:
> Mikkel:
>> When you have the reader plugged in, run "mount" and see what it
>> thinks is mounted. If you can determine the device of the CF card,
>> run "fdisk -l <CF devie>" to see how many partitions Linux thinks
>> the card has.
>
> I started on this - but noticed that one gThumb was titled
> /media/disk-2/dcim - which is different from before. So I rebooted.
>
> Before I plugged in the reader, I tried mount; nothing unusual.
>
> With the reader plugged in:
> /dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type vfat
> (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,shortname=winnt,uid=500)
> /dev/sda1 on /media/disk-1 type vfat
> (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,shortname=winnt,uid=500)
>
> That looks like _two_ devices!
>
> Btw (icih), before rebooting, I plugged it in and unplugged it -
> checking mount after each. Turns out that unplugging the reader doesn't
> release 1 of the devices (it's still there). Then, plugging it back in
> creates a gthumb with '...-2'; another cycle will create a '...-3'.

A couple of questions - are you unmounting the drive before
unplugging it? Also. what does /proc/bus/usb/devices have to say
about this devie? Does it show up as one device, or two in the list?
It would probably help to do something like:

Device unplugged:
cat /proc/bus/usb/devices > /tmp/devices.tmp
Plug in device:
diff /proc/bus/usb/devices /tmp/device.tmp

Now, if you unplug the device with unmounting it, the system should
complain but handle it. But it may tie up the SCSI device letter for
a while - at least until things time out. But getting two devices
the first time you plug it in is even stranger.

I am hoping looking at the USB information for the device will help.
It would also help to have the log messages from when you plug
in/remove the device. If nothing else, it will help in determining
where to file a bug report. (Is it a driver problem, a udev problem,
a HAL problem, a gnome-mount problem? Or a problem with how the
device complies with the USB standards?)

Mikkel