Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Thu Apr 19 01:23:57 UTC 2007

At 7:17 PM -0500 4/18/07, Les Mikesell wrote:
>Matthew Miller wrote:
>>> I guess it depends on the file system. If it is a FAT file system,
>>> then you are probably stuck with something like the present system.
>>> If it is a system that supports extended file attributes, then you
>>> only need to update the attributes for new/changed files. Now, if
>>> the idea turns out to be a practical one, then hopefully it will
>>> also be supported on the MAC. Two out of three aren't bad...
>>
>> This is exactly what Apple *used* to do.
>
>Until someone realized that you might use the same file with more than
>one application?

No, with separate file types and creators that always worked well.  Until
NeXT took over and the (weird mutant BSD) *nixheads ruled and they tried to
force a switch to the more modern file extensions, where a single
user-changable thing means both the kind of data and the app that should
open it.  Since that didn't work at all, file types and creators still saw
plenty of use.  I think there is support for mime-typing now, but I don't
know if any magic is used.