Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Apr 19 03:40:02 UTC 2007

Les wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 21:04 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>> Scott van Looy wrote:
>>> On Apr 18 Jim Cornette did spake thusly:

>>> I'd see what the error is.
>> I could not see the error since it constantly reboots. I did check for
>> minidumps from the ultimate Microsoft OS (always in automatic reboot
>> mode) after installing W2k in the same partition. There was no sign of a
>> "BSOD alternative" for that date. I expected to see a minidump for each
>> reboot.
>>
>>> I'd remove all perhipherals and see if it still reboots,
>> I removed the USB keyboard and went PS2. I could not remove the SATA
>> drive since the installation was on that disk.
>>
>>> I'd disable sata/usb in bios and see if it still reboots
>>> and if even that doesn't work I'd do an in place upgrade using the
>>> original media
>> I have no media for the XP version, it was not included. The BIOS
>> settings might be wort a try. I was just surprised that it worked
>> alright, then it found new drivers for keyboard and SATA and said I
>> would need a reboot in order to use the new features. On the reboot it
>> kept on going like the pink bunny toy for the battery commercial.
>> (Reboot loop)
>>
>> I'll check the settings in BIOS and see how it responds with changes to
>> settings.

>>> You can get out of the chkdsk by pressing esc, if it's rebooting before
>>> the chkdsk is happening,
>> Thanks for the pointer on escaping the chkdsk then reboot over and over
>> again. I still have this installation to test or can get another
>> installation where it is easily reproducible to repeat the failure.
>>
>>> safe mode may work, if not, an in place
>>> upgrade, again
>> I hope the esc, safemode, then being able to locate failure messages
>> works. The only thing I see is preventive measures, do not chkdsk the
>> systems to prevent warranty and service issues. :-)
>>
>> Windows is still not my favorite. I prefer Linux. Linux is at least sane.
>>
>> Jim
>
> Hi, Jim,
> 	The system manufacturer should be able to supply you with his "OEM"
> disk for the system you are working on for XP.  The OEM disk is not
> encumbered in anyway, and should enable you to reset the system,
> including the "update install" that has been discussed.  I had the same
> situation on one of my systems, and the MFR. sent me a new CD by FedEx
> and I had it in two days.  Microsoft wouldn't (or couldn't) do anything
> to help with the issue.  I spent four days on the telephone with their
> "tech support" and finally got the disk and did a clean install to get
> up and running.  I lost some stuff, but got it back up.  That was the
> last straw for me and Microsoft.  When their tech support cannot help
> you get the software you need, and it is their software to begin with,
> what good are they?  I've worked tech support for large systems,
> [...]

Thanks Les,

I will contact the supplier of these computers. I thought it would be
easier if the OS supplier would provide this media upon request. They
have all the genuine OS version and 25 digit codes. I assumed their OS
tech support could not help much with a solution to the problem without
media being supplied by them. I did not contact them of course for support.

Still preferring Linux to getting out of problems with systems, if
encountered.

Jim

--
The way to make a small fortune in the commodities market is to start
with a large fortune.