Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Thu Apr 19 12:32:19 UTC 2007

Today Arthur Pemberton did spake thusly:

> On 4/19/07, Scott van Looy <scott at ethosuk.org.uk> wrote:
>> Today Dotan Cohen did spake thusly:

>> > Last semester in my physics course, right in the middle of a lecture,
>> > the professor's computer informed us that we had 4 minutes until
>> > reboot, due to updates that had automatically been downloaded and
>> > installed. He had to stop the lecture, reboot, and then find his
>> > place. During this time I took the opportunity to mention how
>> > rediculous that is, without mentioning that I don't use windows, and I
>> > was told that I'm stupid for not updating my own computer regularly.
>> > Apparently, reboots in the middle of work are common parts of the
>> > windows workflow. Worse, people accept that because it's the only way
>> > to be 'safe'.
>>
>> I've never seen Windows do that. What I have seen it do is say "Windows
>> will be restarted in 4 minutes [cancel]"
>
> On more than one occasion, I have hit Cancel, only to have Windows
> restart - luckily, I don't trust it with much of my data anyways.

You hit cancel, it goes away. It comes back again if you've not restarted,
over and over until you do. It's to stop people with no clue having
compromised computers online. And the registry hack is to enable people
WITH a clue to disable it. Simple?

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003