Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Thu Apr 19 12:34:09 UTC 2007

Today Dotan Cohen did spake thusly:

> On 19/04/07, Scott van Looy <scott at ethosuk.org.uk> wrote:
>> Today Dotan Cohen did spake thusly:

>> > Here is one:
>> > http://dotancohen.com/windowssucks.png
>> > translation: Your computer update is almost finished. In order to
>> > activate this update your computer must be restarted. Windows will
>> > automatically restart your computer in 3:56 minutes.
>> > Note that the "Restart Later" button is greyed out and unclickable.
>> >
>> > And another:
>> > http://dotancohen.com/ihatewindows.png
>> > translation: Windows downloaded and installed an important security
>> > update that will help protect your computer. This update requires an
>> > automatic restart of your computer.
>> >
>> > About a week after these, I was already using Fedora for everything
>> > but photo organizing. It took me another year to discover F-Spot and
>> > recycle the Windows partition.
>>
>> OK, you weren't running as a user with administrative privs
>>

> Oh, I didn't realize that I was supposed to be an admin in regular
> use. Apparently my professor didn't realize that either. How dumb we
> are.

You're not supposed to be, but if you want to avoid such things then you
should be. Also, the majority of windows software doesn't run properly
without admin privs, so i'd be surprised if you were able to do this
without such heartache.

Scott

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk