Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Thu Apr 19 12:36:50 UTC 2007

Today Dotan Cohen did spake thusly:

> On 19/04/07, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Dotan, my laptop dual-boots with XP.  I have that set up to notify me of
>> updates, but not install.  I do recall seeing, however, that you can elect
>> download updates automatically and install later, though I've never tried
>> that, since I like to read the description of the updates before letting
>> them
>> loose :-)
>>
>> Anne
>>

> That is almost impossible in Israel. Software pirates are rampage
> here, such that WGA assumes everything is pirate. I do believe that
> it's area-specific, and with just reason. In any case, on my current
> Dell I run a cracked XP in a VMWare VM because my legal XP disk won't
> validate and the cracked one works fine! I've overcome the moral
> reasons as I HAVE a legal licence.
>
> Automatic updates are the only way to update a cracked XP. As for my
> (past) professor, I will suggest to him non-automatic updates.

Untrue. Firstly, don't use a cracked XP, you're losing out on
functionality and updates, you're only getting security critical updates.
Secondly, if you have a valid copy of windows and it's not validating,
sort it out! It's easy enough to do.

Thirdly, if you want, you can turn off the entire of windows update and
BITS services, disabling automatic updates and just remember to go here:

http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

in Firefox (not even any need for IE) to update windows

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003