Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Thu Apr 19 13:21:14 UTC 2007

Today Matthew Saltzman did spake thusly:

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Scott van Looy wrote:
>
>> Today Dotan Cohen did spake thusly:

>>> Oh, I didn't realize that I was supposed to be an admin in regular
>>> use. Apparently my professor didn't realize that either. How dumb we
>>> are.
>>
>> You're not supposed to be, but if you want to avoid such things then you
>> should be. Also, the majority of windows software doesn't run properly
>> without admin privs, so i'd be surprised if you were able to do this
>> without such heartache.
>
> And *that's* what they mean when they say, "Defective by design."

Yep, that's a problem. Mostly caused by app developers and not Microsoft.
They've attempted to force the app developers hand with Vista now, so
we'll see if it works out...

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003

Nearly every complex solution to a programming problem that I
have looked at carefully has turned out to be wrong.
 		-- Brent Welch