Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Thu Apr 19 13:32:36 UTC 2007

Today Tomas Larsson did spake thusly:

> I never use OEM-SW neither on XP nor W2K.
> The latest laptop I got, was pre-installed with XP-Home, I ditched that,
> reformated the drive and installed XP-PRO.
> Furthermore I don't use any SW-firewalls, except on the laptop I carry with
> me, since I connect up wherever i find a WiFi spot avaible.
>
> I have never been infected with virus, when connecting to the net for the
> first updates, not even when using one of the original pre-SP1 CD's. Not
> even running in front of my firewall.
> Yes I use a firewall, before it was an old AMD-K6 with RH9, now it is an
> P2-400 with FC5, using gShield script.
> I have never used a dedicated firewall, probably by habit, since they were
> so expensive onece upon a time, and a scrap P1-160 with RH7/9 was a cheaper
> solution.
>
> So I simly don't buy that you get infected first time you are connected.

Actually, you do, but I've not seen it with XP, just Win2k.
Windows messaging service was exploited a while back and I think
it caught XP as well, but I've not installed a copy of the
original XP in years.

I always create slipstreamed XP installs and so I'd not expect to be
compromised.

All versions of XP being sold in at least the last year or so that I've
seen have been SP2

However:

I installed win2k on my ickle libretto and connected for enough time to
get the updates and got infected with a virus, so the next time I simply
burned SP5 to CD and installed that before enabling the network

No CD drive, so couldn't work out how to make it install Fedora

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003