Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

BRUCE STANLEY bruce.stanley at prodigy.net
Thu Apr 19 14:47:51 UTC 2007

-
> > Today Les Mikesell did spake thusly:
> >

> There were problems getting linux drivers to work on certain hardware
> back then, but it was as good in terms of 'if it worked once it will
> keep working' and if anything broke it could be fixed by replacing the
> appropriate file.  By RH7.3 it was about as solid as anything before or
> since... I have one of those that is within a couple of months of a
> 4-year uptime (counter has rolled twice) - and for a few years before
> that it was only down for the reboots to update the kernel.
>
> *Every* windows box here has been down many times due to virus attacks
> and the updates required to prevent more of them in that time span.

Wow!  4 years and no reboot?

We have not hat that kind of success with our
RHEL 3 Taroon  2.4.21-4ELsmp system (2 XEONS with 8GB memory).

If we do not reboot at least once every 2 weeks, we start having
memory starvation problems.

Nightly  scp  copies to our backup development server start
taking an extra hour to complete.

Users complain of slow perfromance.

We think that there is a memory leak problem somwhere or
something is grabing memory for I-O buffers but not
releasing any for furhter use.

Our hardware/Linux support people just tell us
to do a reboot which fixes the problem.