Do I need these ports open?

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Thu Apr 19 17:47:07 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 07:36 +0200, Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:
> El Miércoles, 18 de Abril de 2007 06:22, Simon Slater escribió:
> > 	Hi all,
> >
> > 	Just a quick question arising from following another thread.  Here is
> > the result of nmap on a FC6 box:
> >
> > $ nmap localhost
> >
> > Starting Nmap 4.11 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2007-04-18 14:10
> > EST
> > Interesting ports on localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1):
> > Not shown: 1670 closed ports
> > PORT     STATE SERVICE
> > 22/tcp   open  ssh
> > 25/tcp   open  smtp
> > 111/tcp  open  rpcbind
> > 139/tcp  open  netbios-ssn
> > 445/tcp  open  microsoft-ds
> > 631/tcp  open  ipp
> > 670/tcp  open  unknown
> > 696/tcp  open  unknown
> > 946/tcp  open  unknown
> > 2049/tcp open  nfs
> >
> > Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2.036 seconds
> > $
> >
> > 	What are the 3 "unknown" open ports?  Also I cannot find rpcbind,
> > netbios-ssn nor microsoft-ds under System>Services.  What are these
> > services for?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Simon
>
> vacdsm-sws      670/tcp                         # VACDSM-SWS
> vacdsm-sws      670/udp                         # VACDSM-SWS
> rushd           696/tcp                         # RUSHD
> rushd           696/udp                         # RUSHD
>
> There's no information about 946 in the /etc/services, though

Try "netstat -lpn | grep :946" to see what's listening on that port.
Remember, lots of programs will open ports and listen, and they're
not necessarily the ones listed in /etc/services.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
-      A day for firm decisions!!!   Well, then again, maybe not!    -