Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at freemail.hu
Thu Apr 19 18:06:43 UTC 2007

Tomas Larsson írta:
> Obviously there must be flaws in any OS/SW even Linux, as an example my
> FC4-server was rooted, due to a flaw in php/MySQL.
>
> I ended up with a complete re-install, if it was a windows-system, first of
> all, it wouldn't probably happen, since my AW would have taken care of it,
> plus the fact that I would have managed to remove it without re-installing,
> So in a sence Linux is far much more complicated to restore, compared to
> Windows XP.

I cleaned a rootkit once off a RedHat 7.1 system by using "rpm -Va".
It didn't need reinstallation the whole system.
If you have any (non-config) files that differ from what rpm knows,
you can reinstall the package that was modified.
You don't overwrite system-provided binaries yourself, right?
Any compiled-from-source software should go into /usr/local or /opt...

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi