weird removable media behavior

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Apr 20 15:20:38 UTC 2007

Michael Klinosky wrote:
> Mikkel:
>> A couple of questions - are you unmounting the drive before
>> unplugging it?
>
> No. I considered doing that, but then thought, 'USB is hot-pluggable, so
> that should be auto-magic.'
>
> But, seems like it's not (hence the vestige device).

The problem with just removing a USB device is "time" to clear the
cache.  I have ran into an issue with FC4 and it removing the icon for
the device before all the writes were complete.  I trashed the file
system.  I reported it and there was a fix that showed a pop-up when the
device was safe to be removed.

If your USB device has a light on it, try this test.  Copy a large file
to the device and watch the light to see how long before it starts the
write and how long it takes for the write to complete.

Even Windows requires you to umnount USB drives so the cache can also be
cleared.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.