Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Apr 21 03:39:33 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> I still think it'd be better to change the mechanism for how files are
>> saved, so it's fixed at the right moment.  Having to have something
>> always assessing the drive, it just doing more work, continuously.  We
>> could end up with a never ending procession of file preening daemons
>> running all the time, otherwise (locate, plus update, plus...).

Mikkel L. Ellertson:
> Please explain what you mean. Where are you saying the change should
> be made? Where are you coming up with something always accessing the
> drive?

In your system, you need a third party program managing things.  Until
it's done its trick, you can't make use of the feature (like trying to
use locate before the database has been updated).  You always have to
have some task periodically scanning your drive, just in case there's
something that needs typing.  The contents of your drive aren't "just
there for use at all times".

> Are you saying that the system should check every file as it is
> being saved, and set the mime-type, instead of letting the
> application that creates the file do it? Granted, this would do away
> with having any kind of cleanup cron job being run, but it would add
> overhead to saving every file. You still have the problem of how to
> handle files that do not have a "magic number".

Better to assess one file on the way through to the drive, once, rather
than have to assess every file as something scans through the
collection.  That overhead ought to be minimal in comparison.  And you
have the ability to either have that handle every file save, or not
bother to interrupt file saves from programs which sets the type.

Program saves a file and sets the type itself, the file typer does
nothing.  Program saves a file without setting a type, the file typer
meddles with the file save.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.