BIND Woes

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sat Apr 21 05:00:06 UTC 2007

Mike Dwiggins <mike at azdwiggins.com> wrote:

> OK,
>  I am trying to set up a second server which is going to have Master
> Zones and Slave Zones so must be a full nameserver not a caching-nameserver.
>
> I did a complete virgin install of FC 6 and then did a
> yum install bind*
>
> I then went into /etc looking for named.conf,  all I could find was a
> caching-nameserver.conf.
>
> The caching-nameserver.conf contained a comment line that said to use
> system-config-bind to create a named.conf.
>
> A quick whatis system-config shows that there is no system-config-bind
> command in FC 6.
>
> Being a rookie enough to have never seen a full nameserver named.conf I
> have no idea how to proceed from here.
>
> Help!!!
>
> Mike Dwiggins
This is actually from an RHEL 4.4 box that is the nameserver for my
domain but:

rpm -q --whatprovides /etc/named.conf
caching-nameserver-7.3-3

Also of interest though are:

rpm -qa | grep bind
bind-9.2.4-24.EL4
bind-utils-9.2.4-24.EL4
ypbind-1.17.2-8
bind-libs-9.2.4-24.EL4
bind-chroot-9.2.4-24.EL4

bind-chroot does the magic of putting named in a chroot jail.  FC
versions may differ but I would be surprised if anything else changed.
You don't need (or want) ypbind for a nameserver; it just shows up with
the grep.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce