am I hacked?

peter kostov fedora at light-bg.com
Sat Apr 21 19:04:20 UTC 2007

Martin Marques wrote:
> peter kostov wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was not reading my system logs regularly (that's bad!).  Today I
>> noticed the following:
>
> Install logwatch.
>
> [snip]
>>
>> In the logs I found exactly the same results since one month ago.
>>
>> Does that mean I have been hacked and all those binaries are replaced?
>> The secure logs are full with unaccepted ssh connections. The only
>> successful connections for this period are from a known IP, but
>> unfortunately  I have no older logs.
>
> Doesn't look like that. Any way, I didn't read in all your mail witch
> version of FC you were running, and if you have upgrades up2date.
I am running FC5 with yum enabled.

> I wouldn't worry so much. But get logwatch running right away.

I have logwatch installed, but I didn't know about it. Thanks for
pointing it out!

On the other machine in my local network there is one 'bad' binary
reported by rkhunter - wget. This second computer accesses the Internet
through the one we are discussing.
It is also running FC5 with yum, although the installation isn't exactly
the same.

Peter