am I hacked?

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Sun Apr 22 07:12:05 UTC 2007

El Domingo, 22 de Abril de 2007 02:50, Keith G. Robertson-Turner escribió:

> I have hundreds off ssh attacks every day. Just make sure you have a
> *very* secure password (or don't forward ssh from the router).
>
> I also use "denyhosts" which I've found extremely useful (it's in extras).

That plus some kind of app such as fail2ban to permit only like like 3 attemps
of login, and if the bot, (usually those kinds of bruteforce attacks are made
by bots) fails more than 3 times the password, its IP will be banned for a
period of time you can set up in the config file of fail2ban, for instance.

Usually if your box is not being used as a production server or is a corporate
server where lot of people work in, changing the sshd port would be an
effective solution, indeed.

Just my two cents.
All the best.
--