Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Apr 22 09:07:01 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> I think you missed the beginning (or middle?) of the thread where it was
>> discussed that it'd be better if files identified themselves, rather
>> than having to work it out, after the fact.  Saving a file with
>> appropriate descriptions, rather than having to determine the content
>> analytically, has its advantages.

Arthur Pemberton:
> And you're still going to need a `file` type program to read those
> descriptions.

True enough, but if all files had an unabiguous descriptor right at the
start, it'd be an improvement.  As it stands, some file managers spend a
rather annoying amount of time working out what the files are, when you
load up a directory.  They have to plough through a file, and look for
markers in various places, and make guesses.  That assessment is much
more work than, say, reading the first few bytes of a file that actually
said "image/jpeg", for example.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.