libsndfile 1.0.17 unable to write file in FC6. SELinux???

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sun Apr 22 19:37:20 UTC 2007

At 10:44 AM -0700 4/22/07, stan wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am developing an app that writes sound files.  When I link it with
>the FC6 libsndfile libraries, either statically or dynamically, it gives
>me an error that it cannot open the file.  It is able to create the
>file, because I see it there empty.  When I compile the libsndfile
>1.0.17 source myself, and link statically to it, the application is
>able to create and write the file (i.e. it works as it is supposed to).
>
>Unfortunately the debugging information has been stripped from the FC6
>libraries so I can't trace the problem.

Enable the -debuginfo repos and install the libsndfile-debuginfo package:

    # yum --enablerepo extras-debuginfo install libsndfile-debuginfo

>The only thing I can think of
>is that this is some sort of SELinux issue.  I am running this as a
>user with the default permissions (permissive if I recall).  From what
>I have read this should mean there are no issues with SELinux at all
>under targeted policy.
>
>Any suggestions as to why this is happening, and possible fixes?

Find out if selinux is in permissive mode:

    # sestatus

Find out if selinux is denying access by looking in the log, either
/ver/log/messages, or if audit is installed /var/log/audit/audit.log.