Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sun Apr 22 19:41:42 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-22 at 18:37 +0930, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
> >> I think you missed the beginning (or middle?) of the thread where it was
> >> discussed that it'd be better if files identified themselves, rather
> >> than having to work it out, after the fact.  Saving a file with
> >> appropriate descriptions, rather than having to determine the content
> >> analytically, has its advantages.
>
> Arthur Pemberton:
> > And you're still going to need a `file` type program to read those
> > descriptions.
>
> True enough, but if all files had an unabiguous descriptor right at the
> start, it'd be an improvement.  As it stands, some file managers spend a
> rather annoying amount of time working out what the files are, when you
> load up a directory.  They have to plough through a file, and look for
> markers in various places, and make guesses.  That assessment is much
> more work than, say, reading the first few bytes of a file that actually
> said "image/jpeg", for example.
>

> --
> (This box runs FC6, my others run FC4 & FC5, in case that's
>  important to the thread.)

Don't forget the revision number.  When compression algorithms change,
they are never backwards compatible directly, but often can read the
earlier files if the correct revision is known.
Date of the compression or utility might also be important.  Maybe (to
use your example) "image/jpeg_10.05.02b/20070422" might give enough
information.  Then the decoders would have to have a list of all
applicable revisions and dates that they could decode.  And then what
happens when one such file cannot be decoded.  Maybe the date reads
20080422.  Remember that the date is the release date of the creating
algorithm.  Also each utility would have to include code to put this
information in the file.  And what do you do with existing files that do
not have this kind of information, how should they be handled?  It is
not quite that simple, although we would all like it to be.

Regards,
Les H