OT: VPS: Hosting providers? How it's done?

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Mon Apr 23 16:04:49 UTC 2007

At 11:46 AM -0400 4/23/07, linuxmaillists at charter.net wrote:
>On Monday 23 April 2007, Tony Nelson wrote:
>> We're looking for a new Virtual Private Server hosting
>> provider.  We just tried GoDaddy, but it turns out that
>> $30/m really is too little to pay. (They use an old
>> custom kernel, don't provide kernel modules for a
>> firewall, won't let us upgrade the kernel, and say it is
>> our responsibility to do so under the agreement.)  I'm
>> looking for recommendations and a bit more knowledge.
>
>I was going to direct you to Everyones Internet at
>ev1servers.net but it is now The Planet at theplanet.com I
>know nothing about The Planet. Apparently EV1 put
>themselves out of business by recognizing the SCO claim as
>valid.
>
>Direct from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everyones_Internet
>
>In 2004-3-1, EV1Servers.Net announced it had licensed SCO's
>intellectual property, saying that it was looking to offer
>its customers stability in the wake of SCO's protracted
>battle with the open source community. However, the deal
>was perceived by Linux users as using licensing deal to
>support SCO Group's lawsuit against Linux. On 2004-3-25,
>Netcraft reported EV1 had lost 1,080 Web sites in the
>previous 30 days. Robert Marsh, CEO of Everyones Internet,
>said that althought EV1 had lost some hosting business
>since the deal, it was not out of line with the number of
>sites EV1 loses in a typical month.
>
>Apparently it was or became out of line because Everyones
>Internet is no more. It is now part of the once was.

Cool!  Thanks for the story.  Ehh, my personal web site is on a provider
that once was good, then not so good, and now sold and operated by someone
that doesn't even know where all the pieces are.  Someday when I'm solvent
I'll move it.

In the meantime, I now know what Virtuozzo is:  a complete VPS solution
running many clients on a shared kernel.  It's really just standard virtual
shared hosting -- but with a chroot!  It's a start to my search to just
avoid any outfit that uses it.  Perhaps I should look for the word "Xen",
and I certainly have more questions to ask pre-sale.