core 6 issues

Amitakhya Phukan aphukan at redhat.com
Tue Apr 24 06:27:35 UTC 2007

JJ JJ wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I'd like to ask you a couple of things regarding my core 6 install.
> How do I shut it down? I mean, completely power off?
> Rebooting is not a problem, but when I choose shutdown, it stops
> everything, and then says "system halted" and that's it. I believe it
> even puts to sleep the hard drive, but the computer is still on.
> What should I do?
Hi !
I didn't face this problem till now. I have added the shutdown button to
my panel and when I click it, it asks for shutdown,reboot etc. I click
for shutdown and it is perfect. Maybe you can see the power manager
settings.
> The second one is about VmWare, during the install it can't find the
> kernel c headers, and I have no idea where they are. Where are they?
I believe you get them when you install the kernel-devel package which
doesn't get installed by default. Check the /lib/modules/<uname -r>
directory with a ls -l option. If the build doesn't point to anything,
then the kernel-devel package is not installed. Install it along with
kernel-headers and glibc and gcc headers. Hopefully this will solve your
problems. Thats all I can figure out now.
> By the way, I have the 64 version for pc.
> Many many thanks!
> Jessica

> Need a break? Find your escape route with Live Search Maps.
> http://maps.live.com/?icid=hmtag3

Thanks and regards,
Amit.