Yum

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Apr 24 10:59:22 UTC 2007

david walcroft wrote:

>>> error: %preun(ntp-4.2.4-3.fc6.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 255
>>> error: %preun(bind-9.3.4-2.fc6.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 255
>>> error: %preun(openssh-server-4.3p2-14.fc6.i386) scriptlet failed,
>>> exit status 255
>>> error: %preun(coreutils-5.97-12.3.fc6.i386) scriptlet failed, exit
>>> status 255
>>>
>>> Dependency Installed: pam.i386 0:0.99.6.2-3.16.fc6
>>> Updated: bind.i386 31:9.3.4-3.fc6 coreutils.i386 0:5.97-12.5.fc6
>>> nfs-utils.i386 1:1.0.10-7.fc6 ntp.i386 0:4.2.4p0-1.fc6
>>> openssh-server.i386 0:4.3p2-19.fc6
>>> Complete!
>>>
>>> What do I do about it ?
>>>
>>> Thanks   david
>>>

>> This error sounds like it is SELinux related. Try running 'setenforce
>> 0' prior to running yum to update the system. If the updates install
>> correctly and for real this time, it could be either the package
>> scripts or policy for SELinux at fault. It does not sound like a
>> system relabel is needed in this case.
>>
>> Jim
>>
> Yes setenforce 0 worked,would an update of selinux policy change anything.
>
>   david

Because of this error, there might be other packages where the %post or
%postun scriptlet failed to set permissions, setup users or similar
problems. These problems usually cause multiple versions of packages
left behind in the rpm database. You might need to clean up certain
packages in this condition also. There is a program in yum-utils you
could run to see if there are other problems on your system.
package-cleanup --problems
should let you know which rpms are not installed as intended.

Regarding SELinux, updating to the most recent policy should already
have been completed. There was probably things which SELinux tools wer
prevented from doing also. I would do the following to relabel the system.

- Drop to runlevel 1 with 'telinit 1'
- Run 'setenforce 0' to put SELinux in permissive. mode.
- Run 'fixfiles relabel' ( May take some time to complete. I remove the
temp files when prompted. I guess the option is your choice.)
- Restart the computer after fixfiles completes its tasks.

This should relabel the content of the system and set permissions
correct. There are other methods for relabeling the system, like running
touch /.autorelabel as root in a shell and then rebooting the system. I
personally had troubles even after with this method in the distant past.
This method should relabel your system similar to my suggestion.

Anyway, exit code 255 and packages being downloaded and thought by yum
to install hit me in the past. I hope these suggestions help. Others
might have other solutions.

Jim

--
The way some people find fault, you'd think there was some kind of reward.