ATRPMS dependencies conflict

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Apr 24 18:29:35 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 06:23:59PM +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> Paul Smith wrote:

> FWIW : I recently wanted to enable atrpms since I am starting to use
> more stuff from there, but didn't want to disable livna since I have a
> lot of things also from there.
>
> Just enabling atrpms did lead to conflicts (ffmpeg) but they went away
> once I started to use the yum-priorities plugin to rank repos. I now
> have the standard ones at highest priority (core, updates, extras),
> livna just below them, then atrpms just below that, and finally
> freshrpms, dries and a few other odds and ends. No more conflicts. I
> recommend it as a way to keep lots of repos under control.

But allow me to post a warning: Once a package you use from ATrpms
requires another (sub)package as found in ATrpms, but is shadowed by
livna, or a package in freshrpms requires another (sub)package from
freshrpms which is now shadowed by ATrpms and livna, or a package from
dries <and so on>, then you get peculiar bugs that are specific to how
you setup your system and the priorities, e.g. it is not even
reproducable by other users that use the same repos.

The repo maintainers may have tried to provide sane packages
compatible with the other repos, but the priorities revert this work.

This is called selective/partial enabling of a repo and no repo will
support any issues that may yield out of this. Because, as said, the
resulting bugs are of a rather per host nature.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net