jigdo don't?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Apr 25 04:34:10 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 24 April 2007, Kam Leo wrote:
>On 4/24/07, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I just installed jigdo, only to find its called jigsaw in the kmenu,
>> thinking it was something like a torrent manager, but apparently not.
>>
>> But the menu's require a true URL to the image, and if I point it in the
>> upper cli line, to the nearly 166KB jigdo file I downloaded from the
>> fedoraunity site, called FC-20070401-6-i386.jigdo, it claims it doesn't
>> know how to handle that file format yet.
>>
>> So, since this 'jigdo' thing will be stillborn for obvious reasons, where
>> can I find the .torrent for that respin?  I thought I saw a link to it
>> once, but the availability of fedoraunity.org seems to come and go, and
>> I've not managed to find the page with that link on it again.
>>
>> Ok, I got it to start by manually entering the URL to the exact same file
>> I had already downloaded.  That's a right cast iron pita when it can't be
>> copied & pasted from firefox...
>>
>> So either I need instructions on how to setup FF to start jigdo with that
>> url as an argument, or jigdo needs fixed.  Starting a download should not
>> take 50 screen changes and 30 minutes to get it going.  Needless to say, I
>> voted for future releases in torrent because I can do this in azureus in
>> just a minute or so, plus time to carve a hole in my firewall.
>>
>> And now the transfer has been interrupted after about 70 of the 255 megs
>> just for the template, and now it wants to know where I live but refuses
>> to take a USA entry.  And under advanced it apparently needs a comma
>> separated list of url's.  How the hell should I know where in a 100
>> million servers where this stuff is?  Rhetorical question obviously.
>>
>> Screw it, send jigdo back to finishing school, and where can I get
>> the .torrent file?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>
>It looks like the April 2007 respin is only offered via jigdo.  If you
>can get up to speed you might actually find that jigdo is actually
>faster than bittorrent. Especially, if you have the original or the
>previous respin CD/DVD handy.

Well, it wouldn't accept any data for my origin, so the point is moot.

While it worked, it worked right well at the full available bandwidth of my
dsl connection, but it fell over at about 70 megs downloaded.  It also erased
the local .jigdo file I had previously downloaded.  I get the impression
jigdo may only work well where the legal climate is more temporate.  You'll
also note from the poll being taken that 2/3rds of the voters are asking for
torrent support.

When jigdo just works, this might not be the case, but it didn't just work, it
failed, and I think it failed because I'm in the US.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)