whats with this love of kaffiene?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 17:09:31 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 15:05 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 00:09 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > My working mplayer setup has been destroyed now for the THIRD time
> > since I installed FC6 on this box.
>
> I haven't encountered that, with one exception of a daffy rebuild of one
> the libraries that mplayer made use of.
>
> I don't make much use of KDE, and I think it's likely that's where
> you're grief is coming from, particularly as you mention kaffiene.  I
> don't have it installed, and perhaps one of its updates snaffled up the
> default player settings.
I've had to scour the underbelly of Hell to get Xine and Kaffiene to
work, then an update blows everything up. At first Livna had the good
files, then they seemingly didn't. Then ATrpms had the good files and
then they seemingly didn't. Moved to Freshrpms, etc. I stay confused
with that error that keeps popping up announcing that it was a compiler
problem.

So, like Elmer Fudd, I'm trouble-shooting hwunting a wabbit with a
shotgun trying to get it all working again 100%. I agree with Gene,
leave it alone once the maintainer has a 100% working package. If it
absolutely must be upgraded, then have the depends set to drag in every
working and tested package affected as a group. We'll never make it to
the desktops out there in this fashion.