Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 17:13:57 UTC 2007

On 25/04/07, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
> Now I look at this from my daughters experience.  The school she goes to
> us a Mac school but uses MS Office and IE.  It crashes and has so many
> other issues.  She uses Linux at home and loves it.  She wants to use
> Firefox and OpenOffice but the school won't allow it.  And some of the
> people she has talked to have never even heard of Linux or OpenOffice.

She's talking to the IT department? And they've never heard of OpenOffice?!?

> Recently, I have been hearing more and more people are getting a shock
> out of the visual eye-candy of Beryl on Linux and some are dropping
> their Vista for Linux to use Beryl.  It is eye-candy but Microsoft was
> hyping up the Aero display in Vista which is a very poor cousin to Beryl.

Aero is no cousin of Beryl/Compiz. They were independantly designed.
They are not even similar.

In the experience that I have with bringing new people into Linux, I
haven't had anyone mention eye-candy as a reason for switching OS. I
may be dealing with a technical crowd, but it isn't mentioned.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/516/xymox.html
http://technology-sleuth.com/long_answer/what_are_the_advantages_of_lcd_monitors.html