Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Apr 25 17:24:59 UTC 2007

Ingemar Nilsson wrote:
> "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I've never had a software installation touch my personal files. You
>> should save your work in /home/user, where software installation
>> doesn't touch (with the exception of the dot files, where your work
>> shouldn't be stored either).
>
> That's not entirely true. I had some remote filesystems mounted using SSHFS
> in a subdirectory to my home directory, and Yum complained about some
> access permission in those remote directories when doing an update. I had
> no idea why it would want to touch anything there.
>
> Regards
> Ingemar
>
>From what I have observed, yum is doing a check of free space before
starting the download/upgrade process. I think it is doing a generic
check of free space on all mounted file systems, rather then a
specific check for free space in /var/cache, and probably the parts
of the / and /usr trees where it needs to install files, but it is
ignoring the results it does not need. I am not sure what it does if
you do not have room to download all the packages. I suspect it give
you an error, and lets you ether free up some disk space, or
manually split the update.

Mikkel