OT Action Computer games

Norm maillist at sios.ca
Wed Apr 25 20:14:51 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 10:02 -0600, Phil Meyer wrote:
>
>> A PS3 with the new Dell 27" LCD display is ... wait a minute!  We are
>> approaching $2,000.00 now ... $60.00 per game ...
>>
>> ACK!  There went my money anyways, but I am having more fun.
>>

> Time to buy a bat and ball, much cheaper and more fun...  But then
> there's the costs for new windows, and doctor visits...  You're damned
> if you do, damned if you don't.  But the bat is compatible with most
> hands and balls (stop sniggering in the back), and probably lasts many
> more years than any computer bits and pieces.
>
> A few years back I was at a friend's place, her teenage son and his
> friend were getting all grumpy playing video games against each other.
> But going outside and playing real games, they were enjoying themselves,
> as well as doing something more healthy for them.  And the experienced
> oldies have a fighting chance at beating the younger ones.  ;-)

I started this thread, I feel I should defend 15 years and games.  While some 15 years may be able to make couch potatoes look energetic.  This particular one is planning to try out for the National Rowing team shortly  He has just discovered serious cycling and part of his daily ride to rowing is a ride that would tax most Olympic teams.  In the school work area he is doing well in an advanced placement class.
He certainly has enough on his plate in the official success area but, like any kid at any age still needs some down time.  The suggestions of some different ways to give him the games have been helpful, thanks.  Iam not sure which route they will want to take but as the games are a small area in his life it will probably be a small budget solution - a new racing shell at 12 grand is higher on his list of needs.