->fc6: Pkg Installation - "may take several minutes" - 36 hours later!!

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 25 22:01:54 UTC 2007

> Yes, next time do a clean install! Your system has too little memory
> installed. You need at least 256 MB, preferably more.

Which is a ridiculous state of affairs IMHO. What if the user only wants a
light desktop system, or a headless server. For these things 128M should be
fine. Not exactly nippy but would run OK.

As things stand at the moment, the standard anaconda installer requires as
much memory as a full gnome/kde desktop. Is it just me me thinks this is just
a tad silly.

There are many desktops out there that run fine with 128M, XFCe or fvwm for
instance. XFCE is even part of extras. So an installer that requires more ram
that the system it is installing.... go figure.

Chris