->fc6: Pkg Installation - "may take several minutes" - 36 hours later!!

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200704 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 22:18:29 UTC 2007

sean <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> writes:
> Upgrading to FC6, off a hard disk partition. Text install goes without
> error, until the Package Installation screen appears. There's a popup:
>
> "starting install process. This may take several minutes..."
>
> That was 36 hours ago!
>
> No disk access lights flashing.
>
> This is a slow old machine 400mz, 128meg ram, but it runs fc5.
>
> Any suggestions?

Move the disk to a more modern machine, do a clean install there.
Update to current pkgs via yum update, then move the disk back to that
old system.  This is what I had to do when I installed FC6 onto a very
old PPRO-150 w. 128Meg dram.  The machine was way too old to be able
to boot off of a CDROM, DVD or USB flash stick.

-wolfgang