Network Printer on Fedora

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Thu Apr 26 16:04:09 UTC 2007

At 16:26 26/04/2007, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Sorry for the last topic hijack post.

Just in time to avoid the virtual wrist-slap!

>Could someone point me to a good reference for setting up a Network
>Printer on Fedora? I want to use Samba as a print server.
>
>Thanks
>
>Kevin

I'm in the middle of trying to work out how to set up a new server
right now. Using Dapper Drake =-O (sh... don't tell everybody)
because of the Long Term Support policy. Hardware is built from a
Jetway fanless mainboard, SATA HDD and case.

It's running CUPS without any samba installed, and works just fine
with both XP (which needs manual configuration of the printers) and
FC5 (which needs no configuration - it auto detects the printer
queues and "Just Works"). XP needs to know nothing about the printers
except the paper size - it uses the generic postscript driver.

I'm a total amateur at this but if you want it I have a zip file of
notes of what I did. Contact me off list if you want a copy.

Dave F