core 6 issues

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Thu Apr 26 22:22:09 UTC 2007

On Thursday 26 April 2007 23:35, JJ JJ wrote:
> Ok,
> I checked the bios and the acpi is enabled.
> So, now do I have to modify some script?
> JJ

Ok. I've had this problem on FC5, and Aarons had it on FC6.

There are things you can try when you boot up, and Grubs menu comes up. When
you see Grubs menu, type "a". This will make it possible to append the kernel
bootup arguments. In my case with FC5, adding acpi=force to this line fixed
my problem. In Aarons case with FC6, adding lacpi to the kernel line fixed
his problem. There are other options. You could also try lapic, and there are
other options as well.

Anyway. Start the machine, when you see Grubs menu type "a". Do one space on
the keyboard, and type lacpi, then ENTER, which will then boot the machine.
When it's booted up, shut it down, and see if it completes the shutdown.

If it doesn't, you can bootup again, and try the acpi=force option that worked
for me with FC5, or the lapic option.

These additions to the kernel that you make at bootup are once only. if one of
them works you need to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to make the one that works
permanent. If one works and you don't know how to edit the file, post back.

We have the technology, this will be fixed. Hopefully!!

Nigel.