vsftpd log change process

lists at dwsasia.com lists at dwsasia.com
Fri Apr 27 06:24:33 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have written an daemon that is monitoring FTP uploads. I am using
FAM to monitor the /var/log/vsftpd.log

In general it is working as it should, but there is one step were
vsftpd is swapping the old FTP file to history like:

vsftpd.log.1
vsftpd.log.2

The problem is that if there is no activity on the FTP for a longer
period (lets say 5 days), the file will be swapped at the current
write to the log file remaining only the last log line in the log file.

What daemon is writing these log files? And how it is working? Are the
files swapped? Renamed? Piped?

/Peter