User creation script

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 27 15:33:56 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 12:57 +0930, Tim wrote:
> Aaron Konstam:
> >> The problem as I see it is to generate passwds automatically. There used
> >> to be a program mkpasswd that did that but I can't find that now.
>
> > Well I spoke to soon. mkpasswd is part of the expect package and it
> > generates passwds that will make your script much simpler.
>
> Does it do the same job as crypt?  (Giving you the encrypted password
> for the plain text one that you supply.)

No it produces a passwd that can be  assigned to a user and also is
output to stdout so it can be captured and sent to the user,
So: mkpasswd jones
Vg65og43

Jones gets the passwd displayed. The program also has arguments that
control the characteristics of the passwd. mkpasswd is in the expect
package.

--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>