name completion in terminal?

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sun Apr 29 04:24:00 UTC 2007

Peter Gordon <peter at thecodergeek.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 22:07 -0400, Michael Klinosky wrote:
>> > Does Fedora have file/directory name completion (when using a terminal)?
>>

> Yes, install the 'bash-completion' package then restart your terminal
> (or open a new one) and then you can use the Tab key to automagically
> complete commands, filenames and directories. Some commands even have
> associated completion-capable switches, too; but that's dependent on the
> program's packaging.
>
> Hope that helps.
Unless you use c-shell instead of bash (one of my dirty little
secrets).  File completion is built into the c-shell but you have to
turn it on with "set filec".  Alas, no command switch completion
though.  No idea on korn shell, zsh, etc. if you're running one of those.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce