caching-nameserver -

Fennix cn.stefan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 12:31:00 UTC 2007

On 4/29/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 10:54 -0400, Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
> > Is there a file I can examine that will show me what URL's are
> > presently cached in my caching-nameserver ?
>
> FQDNs, not URIs, as Bruno pointed out.  But check out the "rndc"
> command.  That man file for it is lacking, but running the command
> without any parameters produces this:
>
> # rndc
> Usage: rndc [-c config] [-s server] [-p port]
>         [-k key-file ] [-y key] [-V] command
>
> command is one of the following:
>
>   reload        Reload configuration file and zones.
>   reload zone [class [view]]
>                 Reload a single zone.
>   refresh zone [class [view]]
>                 Schedule immediate maintenance for a zone.
>   retransfer zone [class [view]]
>                 Retransfer a single zone without checking serial number.
>   freeze zone [class [view]]
>                 Suspend updates to a dynamic zone.
>   thaw zone [class [view]]
>                 Enable updates to a frozen dynamic zone and reload it.
>   reconfig      Reload configuration file and new zones only.
>   stats         Write server statistics to the statistics file.
>   querylog      Toggle query logging.
>   dumpdb [-all|-cache|-zones] [view ...]
>                 Dump cache(s) to the dump file (named_dump.db).
>   stop          Save pending updates to master files and stop the server.
>   stop -p       Save pending updates to master files and stop the server
>                 reporting process id.
>   halt          Stop the server without saving pending updates.
>   halt -p       Stop the server without saving pending updates reporting
>                 process id.
>   trace         Increment debugging level by one.
>   trace level   Change the debugging level.
>   notrace       Set debugging level to 0.
>   flush         Flushes all of the server's caches.
>   flush [view]  Flushes the server's cache for a view.
>   flushname name [view]
>                 Flush the given name from the server's cache(s)
>   status        Display status of the server.
>   recursing     Dump the queries that are currently recursing (
> named.recursing)
>   *restart      Restart the server.
>
> * == not yet implemented
> Version:
>
> Note the "dumpdb" information, around about the middle.  There's also
> statistics options which give you a summary about what it's got, without
> masses of explicit detail.
>
> --
> (This box runs FC6, my others run FC4 & FC5, in case that's
> important to the thread.)

> --

Tim, I am also curious about this question.  Previously I had tried enabling
logging via the named.caching-nameserver.conf file and had creeated empty
files for the logs but these files have never been updated by named.  From
your message I have tried running the mdc command but it is not found.
Tried to 'locate mdc' and no useful result.  I do have the
caching-name-server installed...
named     2364     1  0 Apr27 ?        00:00:09 /usr/sbin/named -u named -c
/etc/named.caching-nameserver.conf
which should be the same basic setup as Bob Goodwin's.  Now I am trying to
see where the mdc command should come from using "yum whatprovides mdc".

My logging (which is not working as yet) configuration from
named.caching-nameserver.conf is as follows:

# specify log files for different categories
#
logging {
        channel ch_default {
                file "/var/named/log_default";
                severity info;
                print-category yes;
                print-severity yes;
                print-time yes;
        };
        channel ch_security {
                file "/var/named/log_security";
                severity info;
                print-severity yes;
                print-time yes;
        };
        channel ch_queries {
                file "/var/named/log_queries";
                severity info;
                print-time yes;
        };
        category default { ch_default; };
        category security { ch_security; };
        category lame-servers { null; };
        category xfer-in { null; };
        category queries { ch_queries; };
};

UPDATE: I have finaly figured out the logging issue as being an ownership
problem with the log files.  Now I have changed them to named user and
group.  Bob,  using logging  may be a partial answer for for you about what
queries are hitting your nameserver.  This will not tell you what
information is still current in your cache though.  I do hope that this may
be of some help to you.  (Still am waiting for the results of my yum
query....)