name completion in terminal?

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sun Apr 29 14:32:00 UTC 2007

Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:

> On 28Apr2007 22:24, David G. Miller <dave at davenjudy.org> wrote:
> | Peter Gordon <peter at thecodergeek.com> wrote:
> | >
> | >Yes, install the 'bash-completion' package then restart your terminal
> | >(or open a new one) and then you can use the Tab key to automagically
> | >complete commands, filenames and directories. Some commands even have
> | >associated completion-capable switches, too; but that's dependent on the
> | >program's packaging.
> | >
> | >Hope that helps.
> | Unless you use c-shell instead of bash (one of my dirty little
> | secrets).  File completion is built into the c-shell but you have to
> | turn it on with "set filec".
>
> Actually, it's built into tcsh. Csh predated the patches that
> constituted tcsh (tcsh is just csh with the interaction patches,
> including the file completion stuff).
>
> | Alas, no command switch completion
> | though.  No idea on korn shell, zsh, etc. if you're running one of those.
>
> Bash and zsh do file completion out of the box. I somewhat prefer zsh's
> style myself.
Thanks.  I started using c-shell in about 1988 when the alternatives
were sh (note, not bash) and ksh.  I couldn't remember whether it did
file completion then or not.  I switched to tcsh probably in the mid
1990s when I was doing a lot of shell programming and started running
into the limitation of csh of that era.  Now that bash has the features
that tcsh had back when I should probably switch but I still like the
logic control syntax of tcsh over bash for scripting (e.g., endif
instead of fi).

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce