Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at freemail.hu
Sun Apr 29 17:53:23 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson írta:
> Zoltan Boszormenyi wrote:
>
>> Stuart Sears írta:
>>
>>> Which, although you may have been lucky, is not usually the most
>>> sensible approach. (no offence intended)
>>>   A few points to consider...
>>> 1. what if the rootkit is installed using rpm?
>>>

>> It wasn't, it was installed from source. The intruder
>> left the source tree in place. He was a bit tricky to
>> use chattr +i on /bin/login and some other progs.
>> BTW, although rpm complained that it cannot replace
>> those, why isn't it prepared for such scenarios?
>> RPM is made for Linux, it should certainly know
>> about special filesystem flags and handle them.
>>

> How should rpm handle it? Rpm has no way of knowing why the

How?

1. be able to specify special flags in the specfile and apply them upon
install
2. detect if the filesystem doesn't handle such specials and make note
of it in the rpmdb
3. clear them before uninstalling or upgrading
4. detect if it was modified, report it with rpmv
     (skip this check if the rpmdb indicates it, see 2)

At least ext2/3/4 and xfs has such special flags, make use of them.