mounting LVM partitions from external drives

Hikaru Amano kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 17:57:22 UTC 2007

On 4/30/07, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 00:39:24 +0800
> "Hikaru Amano" <kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I just lost my laptop today .. (motherboard/power unit/whatever goes
> > broken -> the laptop wont even power on) ..
> >
> > in the hdd theres a few assignments and project work which i need to
> > submit tomorrow and a few days later next week ... and now i'm trying
> > to mount the laptop hdd -> which using LVM - connected using a USB
> > connection , from my desktop ... any idea how to init the groups and
> > and make the partitions appear on /dev/ ???
>
> See "man lvm"
>
> This lists the related tools, in particular
>
>         lvscan  (scan for logical volumes)
>         lvdisplay - which will tell you about volumes
>
> and especially
>         vgscan

I tried ur suggestion .. but it seems like its only scanning the local
drives - ignoring the HDD thats connected through USB ... but i'll
keep trying  ... thanx :)

btw ... the lvm group in my local hdd have the same name than the one
in USB ... will this causes conflicts that might able  to cause
dataloss??

> which I suspect is what you need in order to make the volumes appear

regards
Hikaru
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Bin Ismail
Amano Hikaru