Dept of Utterly Useless Error Messages

Michael A Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Apr 29 23:19:19 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 23:54 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> When I run xpdf I get the message
> "Warning: Attempt to remove nonexistent passive grab".
>
> The program seems to run in spite of this.
> I googled for the message, with a number of hits,
> but none had any suggestion of a solution, or a cause.
>
> Developers who introduce warning messages like this
> should be sentenced to read the complete works of Kim Jong Il.

I suspect that warning is for developers, not users.
It would be nice if those kind of errors were only produced if debug
package was installed - or if started with a switch asking for it.

The message may not even be part of xpdf but from a library xpdf uses
(perhaps uses incorrectly or in a deprecated way that will break in
future - hence a warning)