How to access locked files on FC6 from FC2 on same machine

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Apr 30 11:14:05 UTC 2007

On Monday 30 April 2007 09:44, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 18:35 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I'm usually running FC2, but also have FC5, and FC6 on this machine. I
> > have access to FC6's / directory from FC2, but some files,
> > /boot/grub/grub.conf have a darned big padlock on them, so I can't even
> > read them. I try to answer the odd question from the list, and just being
> > able to post a few lines from a file is usefull.
>
> As pointed out by the other poster, those files require root access for
> reading (as well as writing).  One reason being that they can contain
> passwords, or other data that must be keep secret from ordinary users.
>
> To become root, type into a console:  su -
> Then issue commands from that console (e.g. start up a text reader, in
> there).

Apologies Tim, and Vivek. I've just re-read the reply I sent to Vivek, and
think I must have been running in idiot mode when I wrote it.

I was so obsessed with that desktop icon that opened FC6's / directory in user
mode, that I totally ignored the "do it as root" option on the CLI.

All the best.

Nigel.