Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at freemail.hu
Mon Apr 30 13:10:53 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell írta:

>>> Why? What would the advantages be? Do they overcome the drawbacks of
>>> rpm being able to change a file that you set the immutable flag on?
>>>
>>> Mikkel
>>>

>> Yes, see 3.
>
> What would be the point of having a special attribute if programs
> can just ignore it?

What's the point of having a package manager if you can
overwrite everything by compiling from source or delete stuff?

What's the point of setting the immutable flag on a binary, doc or data
file that might - and eventually will - be replaced if you upgrade its
package?

What's the point of handling Unix/SELinux permissions by rpm
if you can simply chmod/chown everything?

I ran out of rhetoric questions. :-)

But your POV in the question above is wrong.
The point is to take advantage of something
where available. Actually, I have another rhetoric
question to back up my POV: what's the point of
supporting NX in the newer CPUs when you can
run the compiled kernel on older system where
the feature never activates?

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi