Confession of error...

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 30 14:33:10 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 17:52 -0700, David L. Gehrt wrote:
> ...I think.  I  feel a bit boobish.   When I started using Linux  10 or more
> years  ago so  there is  little excuse  for the  situation in  which  I find
> myself.   I have  a  (now)  small network  in  my home.   It  used  to be  a
> gateway/firewall  system,  a mail  server  and  a  couple of  laptops.   The
> firewall and mail  systems were old (AMD K6) systems  running Core 3.  Don't
> ask about  the laptops.   In early April  we had  a power outage.   When the
> power came back  the firewall was dead-dead-dead.  By dead  I mean both MoBo
> AND the system disk were dead.  I had a Windoze box running on an Athlon and
> which I  was planning  to use exclusively  to run  Photoshop.  I got  rid of
> Windoze, did a  full install of Core  6, which I found to  be an exceedingly
> difficult evolution.
>
> Because I had  some difficulty with the full install of  Core 6 the question
> is what  is the likelihood of a  successful upgrade straight from  Core 3 to
> Core 6.   So far it  isn't looking that  good.  I booted  up the Core  6 DVD
> started an  upgrade and things  stopped at the checking  dependencies point.
> There was no appearance of the progress bar, after 30 minutes, nor did there
> seem to be any activity on he DVD drive.
>
> I am hoping not  to have to do a chain of  installs starting with the system
> at Core 3 --> Core  4 --> Core 5 --> Core 6.  If it  is even possible to get
> core  4 and  core 5  installation  media.  [Checking  on installation  media
> availability is next.]
>
> Any practical advice would be more than welcome.
>
> AdTHANXvance,

The upgrade you suggest is unlikely to be very successful. What I would
do is make tars files of root, etc and you home directories onto a CD or
other repository. Then install FC6 and copy what needs to be copied from
the expanded tar files on your new machine. For home directories I would
use tar -k which replaces only files that don't already exist so the
gnome configuration files in your home directory will be left alone.

Aaron Konstam tel: (210) 656-0355 akonstam at sbcglobal.net