General Linux?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 17:52:28 UTC 2007

Mike Klinke wrote:
> On Monday 30 April 2007 12:11, Knute Johnson wrote:
>> Is it possible to ssh to my computer, start a command line
>> program, exit ssh and then come back later and ssh to the same
>> command line program?  How would I do that exactly?
>
> Use the "screen" command.  In essence you would ssh to your target
> machine, issue the screen command, run your command, detach from
> the command by using the "<CTRL-a>,d" sequence, then exit from the
> target machine.  Later you could ssh to your target machine, issue
> the "screen -list" to see your detached session(s) and issue the
> "screen -r <desired-session>" to reattach to the previously running
> session.  See "man screen" for more details.

Or, if you'd rather do this in a GUI where you can see more than one
open window at a time and the only reason you don't is that ssh works
better over slow connections, try freenx and the NX client that you can
download from http://www.nomachine.com.  This lets you start a whole
desktop that you can suspend and reconnect and it works very well over
remote connections.  You can, for example, start a bunch of things in
different windows (perhaps even xterms ssh'd to a bunch of other
computers), suspend the session, then reconnect from a different place
(and perhaps a different client platform) and pick up with everything
still running.  And it can work where only ssh is allowed in.  The
initial start-up on a new connection is slower than screen of course
since it has to draw the GUI screen, but it is very snappy after that
and you can see all of the desktop windows at once if you were doing
more than one thing, where with screen you would have to switch among them.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com