The case against LVM

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Aug 1 02:50:46 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I've been using LVM on one computer for some time,
> without any real problems.
>
> However, I've decided that it causes unnecessary complications,
> as some applications do not seem to accept the LVM devices,
> while I don't find any real advantages to compensate.
>
> I thought it would simplify changing the sizes of partitions,
> but as it happens I never need to do this
> with today's enormous disks.
>
> I wonder if that is the general experience?

Since the default is for a /boot regular partition and only a / and swap
within the LVM, how is resizing possible even with an LVM? Can you pick
and choose which directory to export or is it just / or swap that you
could grow across the newly installed hard disk that you installed in
the future?

Jim

--
Windows NT Performance, on the next "In Search Of"