Back Again - RPM using a more efficient database format

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Aug 1 03:36:36 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 22:03 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> With a large repository, like Fedora, even a compressed XML file is
>> going to end up being rather huge. Then, you have to uncompress it and
>> parse it. And, XML parsing is also not exactly a light task.
>
> I thought there was supposed to be a move towards using a proper
> database scheme, a long time ago, that would have sped up all of that?

I recall something discussed awhile back regarding implementing a more
efficient database scheme. Current discussions on development seem to be
concentrating on removing features like rpm -ivh url and instead
requiring the use of wget to download the rpm and secondarily installing
the rpm from local directory. No mention regarding changing to the more
efficient database format.

Jim

--
Windows NT Performance, on the next "In Search Of"