Killed /home installing Fedora 7 with Ubuntu

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 03:40:16 UTC 2007

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>>> This is an rsync command that my wife and I both use on our laptops
>>> everytime we get home to our local network.
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/rsync -e ssh -avzp --exclude "/home/eagle1/.ssh" --delete
>>> /home/eagle1 / /ns2.local.net:/prtdata/
>> I would suggest using the -n option to rsync to test things before you
>> run it on a live filesystem. Leaving a / off of the end of a path in rsync
>> can be disasterous. It has saved my life many times.
>>

> I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Whenever possible, I like to cd into the source directory and
rsync -essh -av . remote_host:/path/to/target
so I don't have to remember which way the magic trailing / works. And if
there is any chance of hitting mount points I use --one-file-system and
repeat separately with any I wanted to include.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com