Back Again

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 06:23:10 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:

>> The annoying parts for me are that after finding the things I want,
>> yum repeats the metadata download for every install step and goes out
>> of its way to avoid allowing the site proxy cache from supplying it or
>> the rpms.
>
> It used to do that for me, but hasn't for a while.

I run many more copies of Centos than fedora - and there a bad design
lives for 7 years.

> It reparses what
> it's got, which isn't too quick, but doesn't refetch the data.  Perhaps
> you want to play with caching tweaks in the yum.conf?

I'm not so concerned about caching on a single machine - I want a set of
machines at the same location to always use the same url by default so a
caching proxy server makes all but the first nearly instant.  Centos 3.x
got this right, subsequent versions don't.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com