Back Again

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Aug 1 11:14:30 UTC 2007

Chris Jones writes:

>>> From what I see yum is doing, it download the primary, the other file,
>>> and
>> possibly filelists, /every/ time a single package gets added to the
>> repository. Even though 99% of the content is the same as before.
>>
>> This, in my opinion, does not really such an optimum design to me. You
>> should /not/ have to download /everything/ every time a single package
>> changes.
>
> Out of interest, how are these files downloaded ? Would it be possible
> to use something like rsync to avoid downloading the whole file, and
> only get the 'bit' that changed ?

Only if the files are uncompressed. Then you can use rsync, but you now have
to set up rsync as an additional requirement for publishing a package
repository.

With HTTP 1.1 partial chunking, and some careful set up, your only
requirement remains just a basic Apache install, without needing anything
else.